At Ackton Pastures Primary School we believe that education is a key factor in transforming the lives of children so that they can be whatever they choose to be. We believe in nurturing children so that they thrive in school and as a result are ready to learn and progress towards their goals.
Our mission statement is:
‘Children at the heart, transforming futures at the core’
At Ackton Pastures we provide a broad academic curriculum that is underpinned by 5 core aims designed to support our children to become successful members of society.
We ensure that:
- Children access a wide range of enriching experiences that support them to gain first-hand knowledge and develop a varied vocabulary
- Children are well equipped to manage their feelings and behaviour, are resilient when challenged by learning and are confident to take risks
- Children are emotionally and physically healthy, socially confident and understand how to have positive relationships with others
- Children develop a deep respect for themselves and others, understand the importance of equality and make a positive contribution to society
- Children acquire the full range of knowledge, skills and understanding that enables them to lead fulfilling and successful lives
The curriculum is designed in a sequential and coherent way so that children build skills, knowledge and understanding towards defined outcomes in each area at the end of Y6. Individual subject information can be accessed that shows leaders intent and implementation of each area through the school’s website. Also, on the website is a growing range of exemplar materials that demonstrate the outcomes of the curriculum.
The school teaches all individual subjects in the national curriculum. These are organised into blocks of learning of varying lengths, planned around a theme. Teachers make clear the subject specific skills and knowledge being taught so that children have a clear understanding of each subject area. The themes allow teachers to link together subject areas so that they make sense to children. Learning is regularly revisited over the course of a school year or key stage so that children’s understanding is built on and deepened over time.
The curriculum is planned so that children access the above aims throughout their time in school, with each being woven into the core learning across each term.
We believe that, although the learning environment, website and pupils’ work may demonstrate how our pupils are exposed to our curriculum, the true impact of this can only be seen when children show that they know more and can remember more about what they have learned. We ensure that pupils have opportunities to meet concepts and learning in a variety of ways and over an extended period so that knowledge and understanding is embedded.